Designs for the next generation of Tube trains have been unveiled by Mayor Boris Johnson.
The ‘New Tube for London’ will enter service in the mid-2020’s on the Piccadilly line, followed by the Bakerloo, Central and Waterloo & City lines.
250 new trains will be ordered in early 2016 following a tendering process expected to start next year.
The Mayor insisted the estimated £1-2.5bn cost was already factored into London Underground’s business plans and dismissed suggestions he was leaving his successor to find the cash.
Tube bosses promise the trains will be more accessible to wheelchair users thanks to the use of double entrance doors throughout and a walk-through design similar to that on existing London Overground trains.
Other features include air cooling to improve passenger comfort and on-board screens offering real-time travel advice and service updates.
The new design drops the traditional driver cabin with controls being located at the front of the first carriage.
When the trains first enter service they’ll be operated by a driver but will be capable of automatic operation when signalling systems on each line are upgraded.
Tube boss Mike Brown said staff who prefer to work in a segregated cabin would be allowed to move to different lines and promised managers would work with staff to address any safety concerns they had about the move to ‘driverless’ vehicles.
He added the automatic operation had been the norm on the DLR since the 1980s was being adopted by metros systems around the work.
The designs will be on display at King’s Cross St Pancras Underground station until Sunday 16 November.
Mayor Johnson said: “The New Tube marks a significant step forward in giving Londoners and visitors the accessible and modern transport service that they expect and deserve.
“These beautiful, air-cooled machines represent the best of British design and innovation. They will help to keep London and its economy moving in the right direction.”