Tickets for London’s official New Year’s Eve fireworks display will go on sale from midday Friday 29 September, Mayor Sadiq Khan has confirmed.
City Hall says the display will feature than 12,000 fireworks, 2,000 lighting cues and 30 tonnes of equipment on three barges and will seen by more than 100,000 spectators in viewing areas along the Thames, as well as a predicted TV audience of over 12 million.
Ticketing was first introduced in 2014 by former Mayor Boris Johnson who said security and safety concerns meant it was no longer possible to allow crowds of up to 500,000 to congregate in central London.
The move was opposed by both Labour members of the London Assembly and Mr Khan who, prior to his election as Mayor, claimed the change had been “driven by cuts not safety.”
Despite these comments, Mr Khan last year conceded that his predecessor was correct and that retaining tickets was “the best way to ensure a safe and enjoyable event”.
Today the Mayor said: “London is the greatest city in the world and our amazing fireworks display on the banks of the River Thames cannot be beaten.
“Visitors will witness an extraordinary display, showing that London is open for business, outward looking and open to all people from across the world.
“My number-one priority is the safety of all Londoners and, as always, the police and emergency services will be working closely with organisers to ensure the evening’s festivities run smoothly and are safe for everyone to enjoy.
“Whether you’re joining the thousands of revellers by the Thames, or watching the display from the comfort of your own home – I hope you enjoy the spectacular show.”
Those wanting to guarantee a view and entry for this year’s celebrations will be able to book up to four tickets from midday on Friday 29 September by visiting london.gov.uk/nye. Each ticket is priced £10.