Boris Johnson has come under fire from Green politicians on the London Assembly after he gave the go-ahead to a major regeneration project in Brent Cross.
Last Friday City Hall announced the Mayor had approved plans for a £4.5 billion scheme to create a new town centre at Brent Cross. The scheme promises the creation of new affordable homes, health facilities and schools as well as “major improvements” to local transport facilities.
In a statement issued last week by City Hall, the Mayor said the scheme would “bring a new vitality to a part of the capital in need of regeneration.”
“Having carefully considered the proposal I am satisfied that the application fulfils the need to have the kinds of transport links that will bring fluidity and rejuvenation to Brent Cross while avoiding potential problems caused by any extra traffic.”
However Darren Johnson AM said the Mayor had “rubberstamped a proposal that will increase traffic and pollution across the whole of North West London” and accused him of ignoring local the views of local residents.
Mr Johnson added “There are better ways to spend £4.8bn if we want to revitalise this part of London. Londoners want less traffic, good local shops and more affordable homes, but the Mayor has rubberstamped a development that will bring the exact opposite to the area: another 29,000 cars, a threat to neighbourhood shopping areas and one of the lowest affordable homes targets in London.”
The Government Office for London yesterday advised Barnet Council not to grant planning permission until Communities Secretary John Denham makes a decision on whether the plan “should be referred to him for determination”.
Lia Colacicco, Co-ordinator at the Coalition for a Sustainable Brent Cross Cricklewood Plan, which opposes the scheme said: “Hopefully the Secretary of State’s next move is to call a public inquiry immediately so that these disastrous plans can undergo full public scrutiny.”