London will mark the arrival of 2007 with a free ten minute fireworks spectacular and lighting display at the British Airways London Eye and along the Thames.
Announcing plans for the event Mayor of London Ken Livingstone said the display had been designed “to be seen from high ground, balconies and gardens all over the capital”. It will also be be broadcast nationwide by the BBC.
Calling on Londoners to use public transport on the night the Mayor said “wherever and however you plan to bring in the New Year, free travel and services through the night on public transport, means it is much easier to get out and about and safely home.”
Mayor Livingstone has issued the following advice for those attending New Year events in the capital:
- Plan your journey – including how to get home – before you set out for the night and let people know where you are going.
- Meeting up with friends is easiest and safest before you set out. Large crowds make stations and other well-known landmarks such as Nelson’s Column unsuitable meeting places.
- Watching in safety and comfort – large crowds will head to the river to watch the display and be guided to the viewing area. It will not be possible to accommodate more people when the viewing area has reached capacity.v
- Fireworks – a fantastic display is planned, so please do not bring your own fireworks.
- Please drink responsibly, and bring all New Year cheer in plastic bottles or cans. No glass please!
- Pickpockets operate in large crowds so keep valuables well hidden – or leave them at home.
- Travelling home may be easier from another station or bus stop, so check the options for your return journey before you travel to the event.
- Walking may be quicker and easier, particularly after the event has finished, so consider wearing sensible shoes.
- Remember it’s winter, so wrap up warm.
- People’s safety is paramount – be alert for any unattended bags or suspect packages; listen for any announcements; and report anything suspicious to an event steward, police officer, or Transport for London staff.
Up to date travel information is available at www.tfl.gov.uk.