Londoners are being warned to take extra care when putting up their Christmas decorations following a severe fire in Brentford last night.
The London Fire Brigade say early indications suggest the blaze was caused by an unattended candle falling onto Christmas decorations in a bedroom. Last night’s incident follows two candle fires last Friday.
The Brigade says in London one fire a day was caused by candles last December. Nationally, firefighters went to nearly 150 candle related fires in the last month of 2010.
Fire chiefs are urging warning people not to leave candles unattended and to think carefully when putting up their Christmas decorations so no candles are placed nearby.
Watch Manager Rob Edwards at Acton Fire Station said “We believe this fire was caused by a candle left unattended in a bedroom.
“At this time of year people light candles at home but make sure they’re well clear of Christmas decorations. Unattended candles and tinsel are a potentially lethal mix that could ruin more than just Christmas.
“There was no working smoke alarm in the house and the people inside were only alerted to the fire because someone was still awake downstairs. It’s vitally important to have a working smoke alarm.
“If a friend or family member doesn’t have one, buy them an alarm for Christmas – it could be the most important present you ever give.”