• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MayorWatch

London News and Comment

  • NEWS

Zac Goldsmith officially joins City Hall race after local voters back his bid

June 23, 2015 - Martin Hoscik

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London and Zac Goldsmith on a walk about in Richmond. Photo: Andrew Parsons/i-Images
Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London and Zac Goldsmith on a walk about in Richmond. Photo: Andrew Parsons/i-Images
Voters in Richmond Park have overwhelmingly backed Zac Goldsmith’s bid to succeed Boris Johnson as Mayor.

Earlier this month the Tory MP wrote to all registered voters in his constituency asking for their permission to stand, saying it was the right thing to do given that he’d only just been re-elected to the Commons.

Almost 20,000 constituents responded, with 15,802 saying Mr Goldsmith should stand for mayor and just 3,569 against.

He will now join London’s deputy mayor for policing Stephen Greenhalgh, footballer Sol Campbell, London Assembly member Andrew Boff, MEP Syed Kamall and businessman Ivan Massow in a ballot of Tory party members to select a candidate.

Mr Goldsmith said: “Having just been given the green light to run by my constituents, I have a lot of work to do to earn selection as the Conservative Party candidate for Mayor.

“I will work tirelessly to repay my constituents’ loyalty and to gain the trust of Londoners so we can make London an even greater and more liveable city.”

He praised the incumbent mayor, saying: “London has become the world’s greatest city with all the benefits that brings” under his watch and promised to stand up to the UK Government when its policies didn’t represent “a fair deal” for Londoners.

Mr Goldsmith, who won his parliamentary seat from the Liberal Democrats in 2010 and is a high profile campaigner against Heathrow expansion and for environmental policies, is widely considered to be his party’s best chance of retaining City Hall next May.

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Click to print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email

Filed Under: 2016 London Elections, News Tagged With: 2016 London Elections

RECENT UPDATES

Tube and rail users to benefit from Oyster weekly fares cap

Mayor and TfL call on ministers to help plug funding gap

Tube to get full mobile phone coverage from 2024

TfL says Direct Vision Standard is already making HGVs safer for London road users




POPULAR

City Hall to move to Docklands as Mayor seeks to raise £55m for frontline services

‘Concern’ over TfL’s ability to deliver major projects in wake of Crossrail cost overruns

City Hall halts London Overground ticket office closures but many will still see opening hours reduced

Transport for London confirms bus cuts will go ahead despite passenger opposition

Copyright © 2025 · Terms of Use · Privacy Policy