• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MayorWatch

London News and Comment

  • NEWS

Sadiq Khan calls for TfL to take over Southeastern’s metro services

August 8, 2018 - Martin Hoscik

Sadiq Khan has urged Transport Secretary Chris Grayling to end the “daily misery” of Southeastern railway passengers and hand over the company’s metro services to Transport for London.

Surveys show Southeastern currently has one of the lowest recorded passenger satisfaction scores (75%) of any British rail operator.

That score is significantly below TfL’s London Overground service (88%) but higher than the TfL Rail service (69%) which will eventually be folded into the new Crossrail service and gain a fleet of new, high-tech trains.

In a letter to Mr Grayling, who has previously walked away from a rail devolution pact signed by the Government and former mayor Boris Johnson, Mr Khan describes recent performance on Southeastern services as “mediocre at best”.

He also draws a comparison between the high performance levels achieved by London Overground and other operators, highlighting his agency’s commitment to station staffing, the guarantee of a turn-up-and-go service and deep cleans and improved facilities at stations.

With the announcement of a new Southeastern franchise operator now delayed until November, the Mayor has urged the Secretary of State “to seize this crucial opportunity for a fresh approach” and hand over services to TfL.

Mr Khan said: “These passengers deserve so much better than they are currently getting and I believe now is the time for a fresh start.

“The Government could make the most of this delay by working with me to put passengers first by transferring responsibility for contracting these Metro services to TfL.

“Their expertise would provide the more frequent and reliable services these passengers are crying out for.”

A spokesman for Southeastern said: “Decisions on the way rail franchises are structured and awarded are made by Government.

“We’ve invested £80m to improve our services since 2014, including 68 extra carriages to boost capacity on our busiest services, nearly £5m in station refurbishments, and new ‘Customer Ambassadors’ to help assist passengers with their journeys.

“Working together, the partnership railway is securing £9.2bn of extra economic benefit for passengers, communities and employees in London and the South East.”

 

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Click to print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email

Filed Under: News

RECENT UPDATES

Tube and rail users to benefit from Oyster weekly fares cap

Mayor and TfL call on ministers to help plug funding gap

Tube to get full mobile phone coverage from 2024

TfL says Direct Vision Standard is already making HGVs safer for London road users




POPULAR

City Hall to move to Docklands as Mayor seeks to raise £55m for frontline services

‘Concern’ over TfL’s ability to deliver major projects in wake of Crossrail cost overruns

City Hall halts London Overground ticket office closures but many will still see opening hours reduced

Transport for London confirms bus cuts will go ahead despite passenger opposition

Copyright © 2025 · Terms of Use · Privacy Policy