• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MayorWatch

London News and Comment

  • NEWS

Complaints after City Hall Boris’s answers to Londoners delayed until May 8th

April 1, 2015 - Martin Hoscik

cityhall_chamber_2_900Like all local authorities, City Hall is having to be careful about the information it puts out during the General Election period to avoid accidentally influencing anyone’s votes.

But the way the rules are being enforced has drawn ire from some London Assembly members who complain that their work in holding the Mayor to account is now being hidden.

Last week (March 25th) was Mayor’s Question Time. As always questions to the Mayor were split into three groups – oral questions on his report to the Assembly, AMs’ tabled oral questions for answering during the meeting, and finally written questions tabled for later response.

A webcast of the meeting – including the answers to the first two sets – remains available on the City Hall website despite it being littered with the usual political knockabout.

But publication of the written answers – which are usually shorn of any point-scoring and tend to be wholly factual – has been blocked by Greater London Authority civil servants until after the General Election even though many of the answers were prepared last week.

This means Londoners can’t see the answers to the questions for another six weeks – by which time many will be out of date or no longer of relevance.

And it makes it harder for AMs to pass back answers to constituents who they asked questions on behalf of.

(If you’d like your AM to ask a question, you can submit it here)

A GLA spokesperson has defended the decision, claiming that the delay is essential to abide by election publicity rules.

Yet on the same day AMs were told the answers to their questions were to be withheld, the Office for National Statistics published good news about the UK’s economy – something far more likely to have relevance in a General Election than Boris’s answer setting out the Met’s cost-benefit analysis of policing Parliament Square or explaining how Tufnell Park Tube users will be compensated during its closure.

Meanwhile Boris is still (rightly) publishing details of the decisions he’s taken and his office is issuing press releases, including one today which highlights his Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation’s role in delivering “up to 24,000 homes and more than 55,000 jobs.”

There has to be something wrong with a set of rules which allow a Government to benefit from a positive official analysis of their economic policies and a Mayor to talk about the homes he’s creating but stops Londoners reading how their public services are being held to account?

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Click to print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email

Filed Under: Comment

RECENT UPDATES

Tube and rail users to benefit from Oyster weekly fares cap

Mayor and TfL call on ministers to help plug funding gap

Tube to get full mobile phone coverage from 2024

TfL says Direct Vision Standard is already making HGVs safer for London road users




POPULAR

City Hall to move to Docklands as Mayor seeks to raise £55m for frontline services

‘Concern’ over TfL’s ability to deliver major projects in wake of Crossrail cost overruns

City Hall halts London Overground ticket office closures but many will still see opening hours reduced

Transport for London confirms bus cuts will go ahead despite passenger opposition

Copyright © 2025 · Terms of Use · Privacy Policy