Further strikes have been threatened by the RMT union which is embroiled in a row with London Underground about staffing levels in the wake of Boris Johnson’s decision to close all ticket offices on the network.
Unions say the move and resulting job losses have left the network unsafe, claims denied by LU managers who say they always intended to review staffing levels once the closures were completed and have plans in place to recruit an 200 extra staff.
Earlier this week passengers were severely disrupted after workers belonging to the RMT and TSSA staged a 24 hour walkout.
On Thursday the RMT said “escalated strike action will be called from Monday 6th February” unless managers address its concerns.
Mick Cash, the union’s General Secretary, said: “RMT members on the London Underground stations see day in and day out the toxic impact of the job cuts programme and they are reporting back that it is horrific.
“It has now also been shown that at management level there is agreement with the union that the cuts have been a disastrous mistake and that the staff need to be put back on the stations.
“We now need a move away from the piecemeal and incremental approach to tackling this crisis and for LU to come forward with a serious package of proposals.”
Cash insisted the union “remains available for talks.”