The RMT union has “suspended” strike action planned to start on Friday after it claimed London Underground cancelled engineering works scheduled for this weekend.
The planned strike was part of an ongoing dispute over pension and benefit parity at Tube Lines, the former PPP contractor.
Transport for London bought Tube Lines in 2010, ending the Tube PPP system, and converted the company into a wholly owned subsidiary.
The union says staff should be allowed to join TfL’s Pension Scheme and receive the same travel concessions as other London Underground staff, including those who previously worked for failed PPP contractor Metronet.
The affected staff are responsible for maintenance and upgrade work on the Jubilee line, Northern line and Piccadilly line and operate the Emergency Response Unit (ERU).
Tube Lines and Transport for London say staff remain on their current terms of employment.
Earlier this week Jon Lamonte, Chief Executive of Tube Lines, said previous strike action “had no effect on passenger services” and predicted the same would be true of the latest strike.
Announcing the suspension of the strike, RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said: “The cancelling of the weekend’s engineering works schedule is a clear recognition by LU of the success of RMT’s previous action and as a result we have no need to proceed with this round of strikes as our objective has been met. Therefore the union is suspending the planned action.
“The dispute, over pensions and passes justice and equality with other LU staff, remains very much on and we will now be reviewing the tactics and the success so far which has been achieved as a result of the solidarity and determination of RMT members.”
Jon Lamonte, Chief Executive of Tube Lines, said: “I am pleased that the RMT leadership has called off its completely unnecessary planned industrial action on the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines. Since becoming part of Transport for London, all Tube Lines’ employees have kept their existing terms and conditions of employment. I hope that we and the union can return to constructive discussions on any issues they have without the threat of strike action.”
In response to claims about cancellation of weekend works, Mr Lamonte added: “There is no truth in the RMT’s claims. The only planned weekend upgrade work on the Northern line this weekend would have been overnight Saturday to Sunday, work which had already been cancelled by our contractor because that programme was ahead of schedule.”