Boris Johnson has been accused of recycling spending commitments after announcing a £145 million “funding boost” to improve the quality of council homes.
On Tuesday City Hall said the money had been “secured by the Mayor through the Government’s ‘Decent Homes Backlog Funding ’ programme,” and would fund improvements in nine London boroughs.
The Mayor said: “As London’s population continues to grow at an unprecedented rate, and we strive to double the number of new homes being built across the capital, maintaining the quality of London’s essential existing housing stock is vital.
“These improvement works, in those homes in most urgent need of repair, are essential to ensure a decent quality of life for thousands of Londoners.”
However Tom Copley, Labour’s housing spokesperson on the London Assembly, says the money was “announced over a year ago” and that the Mayor’s budget for 2015/16 contains no further funding to improve homes.
The AM commented: “Instead of trying to dress up old funding announcements as news, the Mayor should be working to fix the fact that the following year he hasn’t budgeted a single penny for Decent Homes work.”