Labour says Tube users will be condemned to years of “over-stretched” and “overcrowded services” because of what they describe as Boris Johnson’s “abject failure” to focus on a key network upgrade.
Tube bosses are set to spend millions boosting capacity on the District, Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines to ensure the network can cope with increasing demand and London’s growing population.
Key to the project is a new signalling system which was originally meant to be installed by Bombardier by 2018.
LU last year cancelled the contract citing concerns about Bombardier’s ability to deliver on its promises and opened discussions with rivals Thales.
On Monday London Underground Managing Director Nick Brown confirmed the works would not now be complete until 2022 but insisted there was “a very clear delivery plan and timetable for the work and, as we have done with the modernisation of the Northern line, we will keep London moving and growing as we do it.”
He added: “In parallel, we will continue to deliver a better, more reliable service every day which builds on the work over recent years to reduce delays to their lowest ever level.”
However Labour says confirmation of the four year delay means Londoners will continue to endure crowded rush hour trains and claim the blame rests with Mayor Boris Johnson.
Val Shawcross, the party’s transport spokesperson at City Hall, said: “After eight years, the Mayor has failed to complete what is not only the most cost efficient upgrade to the London Underground, but the most beneficial to commuters and London’s economy.
“The tube upgrade should have topped the Mayor’s list of priorities, but his abject failure to stay focused now means that paying passengers will be left to contend with yet another five years of over-stretched services.”