• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

MayorWatch

London News and Comment

  • NEWS

Assembly calls for public engagement in counter-extremism work

December 18, 2015 - Martin Hoscik

A London Assembly report published on Thursday says parents should be given better advice to help prevent their children from becoming radicalised and supporting, or playing a part in, terrorism.

Assembly Members say “computer savvy-parents and families” could have a “critical role” in preventing the spread of extremism.

But the report warns that secrecy surrounding the Government’s ‘Prevent’ counter-extremism strategy and a lack of data sharing between London boroughs is undermining its effectiveness.

AMs want “regular, open and honest communication with the public about what is happening in London” and say “Londoners should be more involved in discussions about the best ways to prevent extremism across the capital.”

Joanne McCartney, Chair of the Assembly’s Police and Crime Committee, said: “Our report recognises that as the eyes and ears of the capital, we cannot afford to overlook the role of the public.

“The risks posed by online radicalisation have been examined and we know that a strong counter-narrative – which condemns violent extremism – is one of the most powerful prevention methods available, but attempts to deliver this have been lacking so far.

“Community engagement is critical to the success of Prevent, but we heard that there is a risk that the current ‘top down’ approach to Prevent delivery makes it difficult to engage citizens.”

  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Click to print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email

Filed Under: News

RECENT UPDATES

Tube and rail users to benefit from Oyster weekly fares cap

Mayor and TfL call on ministers to help plug funding gap

Tube to get full mobile phone coverage from 2024

TfL says Direct Vision Standard is already making HGVs safer for London road users




POPULAR

City Hall to move to Docklands as Mayor seeks to raise £55m for frontline services

‘Concern’ over TfL’s ability to deliver major projects in wake of Crossrail cost overruns

City Hall halts London Overground ticket office closures but many will still see opening hours reduced

Transport for London confirms bus cuts will go ahead despite passenger opposition

Copyright © 2025 · Terms of Use · Privacy Policy